Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I call the Police, Part 1

The Leschi, Madrona and Capitol Hill neighborhoods are entirely covered by the East Precinct of the Seattle Police, which has five precincts. The station is at 12th and Pine.

I called the precinct on Tuesday morning to ask how to formally file a statement regarding the number of cars that blow through the 4-way intersection at 32nd and Yesler outside of an elementary school and bus stop.

The officer listened patiently, and I was referred to the Traffic Unit, and was provided a number which I called... it had been disconnected. Great.

I went back online to research further. I'm glad I did because I found that the SPD Traffic Unit has three squads... the DUI squad, the PM enforcement squad and the AM Enforcement Squad which has "the primary emphasis being traffic violations that occur in school zones". Sounds like they should be receptive to what I have to say.

Unfortunately, this web page did not list a phone number, so in my next post, I'll tell you how I got the number and also detail my call to the Traffic Unit.

3 comments:

Editor said...

I have found similar results in reporting non-criminal activity to the police department. One usually gets directed to a dedicated phone number, which is at best an answering machine and at worst disconnected. Perserverance is the rule here - after enough phone calls to the "wrong" police number about a specific problem at a specific place, they will at the least send a squad car on problem hours, and in my experience can solve or reduce the problem. Witness homeless folks using the park by my house as a drug/alcohol binge refuge - I called enough times to get cars out and the word got out that the place was off limits, ended up making a difference. keep it up!

Christopher said...

Hey, nice to see a blog focussing on "my" neighborhood, BUT - you should include "Squire Park" in your sub-head, since geographically-speaking at least, we do fit within the boundaries you've staked out here.

John said...

christopher -- you're absolutely right! squire park is squarely inside 98122 (except for the land between Yesler and Jackson, which I think is 98144). Consider it added, and thanks for the comment! -- john