Thursday, September 6, 2007

Leschi Neighborhood Plan

In 1993, the Leschi neighborhood submitted a neighborhood plan to the City of Seattle, only to have it rejected as Leschi was considered at that time to be within the "Central Area" neighborhood plan.

I found this out last night as I attended my first Leschi Community Council meeting at the Senior Center on 30th Ave S, which by the way has one of the best views of Lake Washington I have ever seen.

I'm going to be writing about this over the next few weeks because there were a lot of subjects brought up that are critically important to the community and I'm curious about each of these things and what we can do about them.

I guess before I get into the specific items covered, I wanted to understand what a neighborhood plan was. Here's what I could find:

According to the city, a neighborhood plan is approved by the city and passed as law and actually includes a detailed workplan... intended to serve as the primary tool to help the City implement the neighborhood plan.

I looked at all of the neighborhood plans and in particular the Central Area plan and one big thing jumped out at me.

This was completed in 1992. Dennis Eckersley won the MVP that year, Johnny Carson was still the host of the Tonight Show and Amy Fisher shot Mary Jo Buttafucco. My younger sister had braces. Dude. This was a long time ago. Seattle didn't have Internet millionaires and probably only had 30 or 40 Starbuck's at the time.

And this plan doesn't really cover much of Leschi in its emphasis.

So I don't know yet how much these plans really mean, but I feel some righteous indignation at the very least that Leschi wasn't considered it's own community at the time.

So now that I know a bit about this, I'm going to post some thoughts on the topics discussed in upcoming posts.

1 comment:

Editor said...

I would posit that Leschi is the last part of the Central Area that needs or wants a city mandated neighborhood plan - yes I am being chippy tonight but what the hey...